Wednesday, October 16, 2013

What’s My Excuse?


A little over a year ago, I saw a picture of a man with 2 prosthetic legs finishing a Tough Mudder, with the caption: What’s Your Excuse? I saw another similar picture of a runner with the same caption. This week, a picture of a fit mom with 3 young kids has been circulating through social media with the same headline: What’s Your Excuse? 

These pictures inspire me to make a plan instead of making excuses if I want something. Almost anything is possible in this world if you do what it takes to get it. Yet why does “doing what it takes” often seem impossible? Because it's usually really, really HARD! 

The concept of "doing what it takes" is different for everyone. For someone with a fast metabolism, it might take less effort. For someone with a slower metabolism, or other circumstances, it may take more effort. But it is possible. The question is, does "doing what it takes" fit into your life and does it make sense with everything else that's going on in your life? Another thing to consider is that "doing what it takes" doesn’t always make you happy (or mean that you’re happy).

This picture was taken of me a year and a half ago, when I was in my best physical condition. It was 4 days after my marriage fell apart. I was smiling and strong on the outside, but absolutely miserable on the inside. For years, I was in an unhappy marriage and slowly sinking into a deep depression. About 6 months before this picture was taken, I started working out because I needed a distraction from the mess my life was becoming, not because I wanted to be fit. I found that exercising made me feel better about myself, gave me something to work towards and kept me sane through a really tough time in my life. The physical side effects were just a bonus in my mind.


I would have given anything to linger in bed with a man who loved me on Saturday mornings, instead of setting my alarm early to get up for boot camp. But, that wasn’t my reality. If given the choice, I’d pick sitting on the couch eating a pint of ice cream and watching a movie with my soul mate, over running on the treadmill late at night so I could get that “runner’s high” and feel happy inside, instead of miserable. Some people self-medicate with food, drugs, alcohol or even sometimes work. The truth is, we’re all usually struggling with something on the inside, and our outside appearance rarely matches our feelings on the inside. Hence, the sayings: “Don’t judge a book by its cover” and “fat and happy”.

The mom who posted the picture, asking: “What’s Your Excuse?” was just trying to make people understand that it’s possible to get fit, even with obstacles in your way – whether they be having young kids, having no legs, or something else. Her intent wasn’t to tell people that she’s better than they are. I don’t look like the superhero in that picture anymore, but I’m settling into my life now and actually really happy.

I’m a single mom with 3 wonderful kids, a job that I love and a boyfriend who makes me feel special. I’d rather carry around a few extra pounds and feel loved and happy. I'm still running and conquering all kinds of crazy races, but that's just part of what makes me happy. That’s MY excuse. But that’s just my choice. Everyone has a choice, and that’s what makes this life so amazingly beautiful.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE!
    Thank you for sharing, and also supporting Maria Kang's picture. I agree with you, when obstacles present themselves, it's all about how we manage them. It IS possible to get AND STAY fit, again all about choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! I love your story. Very Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete