Friday, July 6, 2012

I still got it!

It's been over two months since Tough Mudder, and I have to say I have been really lazy when it comes to working out. I've dropped my exercise down to 1-2 days a week, which I know is not enough. Sometimes, I'll do a bunch of push-ups or plank for a little bit, because I feel guilty that I haven't exercised in a while, but that's about it. I haven't been gaining weight, but I've been worried that I'm losing my strength and muscle. My first Spartan Race is less than 2 weeks away, and I'm not sure I'm ready for it anymore.

I'm part of a Facebook group called Spartan Chicked, which is a group of amazing women who support each other as they reach their goals. it's focused around obstacle racing, but there are other athletes who are a part of this group as well. July is "monkey bar month" in this group, and everyone's been posting videos of their monkey bar attempts. That's what inspired me to test out my monkey bar skills - one of my greatest challenges!

Yesterday, I took my kids to the park and attempted to go across these monkey bars. The first time I tried, I think I only got to the 2nd or 3rd bar, and then I fell. The 2nd time, it was the same thing. But the 3rd time, I made it all the way across, with my daughter cheering me on, saying "Mom, you can do it! You're a Tough Mudder!" She really is my little cheerleader!

So, what did I do differently that 3rd time? I think it was a combination of technique and mental grit. The third time, I gripped the bars from the very top, so my hands wouldn't slip down to the sides. I found it was much easier to hold the bars that way, because my wrists were killing me when they would slip down to the side. I was also swinging my body from front to back. I found that the momentum helped me get from one bar to another more easily.

I also remember telling myself not to give up or let go, no matter what and no matter how much it hurt. Believe it or not, I think that helped me even more than the technique. When I did the Tough Mudder back in April, I was in peak physical condition, but I only made it to the first monkey bar and then fell into the water. I remember saying something like "I can't do it." before I dropped. It was towards the end of the race, and I was exhausted, but I remember not believing I could do it. Here's a link to the video of me attempting the monkey bars at Tough Mudder: http://qik.com/50574930/a03d91f0

I know I need to step up my exercising. After all, I have a Super Spartan coming up on September 8th, and I just won a free entry to the Hardcore Mud Run on September 9th. I'm probably crazy for doing 2 big obstacle courses in the same weekend, but in my mind, it's just another challenge to conquer. This monkey bar experience reminded me of one of my favorite quotes:

"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, either way, you're right." Henry Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment